Good morning and welcome to Part 3 of It’s Better with Color! Blog Hop with The E-Team, which is all about Alcohol Inks! When I first think of alcohol inks , I remember when I first got them. I’m sure it was when they first came out (I know I’m not correct with this, but maybe some 7 or 8 years ago). I saw them in a stamp store in Nashville, Indiana and they were showing us how to use them . . . fill your felt pad with blending solution and add a few drops of ink. The main purpose then was to blend the ink on glossy cardstock to make faux marble/crushed stone/agate backgrounds. Alcohol inks have so many more uses and hopefully you’ll see something new to inspire you today!
Let me give you the hop details first before I get into my project:
- 4 winners will be chosen randomly from E-Team blogs plus 1 from eP Blog
- 4 winners will receive $20 vouchers to eclectic Paperie
- The eP Blog winner will receive some alcohol ink goodies including an assortment of alcohol inks, blending solution, blending tools and some other surprises
- One comment per person per blog beginning Thurs June 30th – Monday, July 4th.
- Winners will be posted on the eP Blog on Tuesday, July 5th
- All alcohol inks are on sale at 20%
Members of The E-Team participating today are:
I’ve used alcohol inks on many things and have done a number of tutorials using them:
Stamping With Alcohol Ink Blending Solution (this one I need to redo I see)
This link will take you to all my projects using Alcohol Inks on my blog: Alcohol Ink Techniques.
For today’s project, I decided to work with Studio 490 Clearly for Art and Alcohol Inks. This is a technique that I saw Wendy Vecchi to at Winter CHA and have never tried before . . . I thought it was about time!
First, here’s my card (or wall hanging wannabe):
To begin, I die cut a sheet of Clearly for Art with Spellbinders™ Rose Creations and inked one side of each die cut with Snow Cap pigment ink and dried. I found it faster to use my heat tool to dry the ink instead of letting it air dry. Using the heat tool did not affect the Clearly for Art at all.
Since I’ve never tried this technique before, I went with the leaves first to apply alcohol ink too. The felt was filled with Lemonade, Pesto and Lettuce Alcohol Ink and pounced on top of the Snow Cap ink.
I wasn’t quite sure about the rose since I was initially trying to match it with different paper that I’ve used here. My first layer of alcohol inks were Pink Sherbet, Watermelon and Peach Bellini. Needless to say, I didn’t like them at all and went over them with Red Pepper and Cranberry.
In the above picture, you can see where I’ve started to shape the different layers of the rose. To do this, you heat the Clearly for Art with your heat tool, and while it is soft you can mold and shape the die cut. If you don’t like it, you can reheat the entire die cut and it will fold flat on your work surface. From there, you can reheat and start shaping again. Be careful though, because it can become very hot . . . I used tweezers to hold the die cut while I was shaping it. Each layer was shaped with the one below it to make they fit together nicely.
I needed some additional embellishments for the card, and didn’t have anything that quite matched. I did, however, have some clear Maya Road trinket pins. The pins really needed more color to pick up the yellow in the paper, so I took some Butterscotch Alcohol Ink, applied it to a new piece of felt and dabbed it on the trinket pins. To make them a little darker, I applied two coats of the Butterscotch.
Here’s a close-up of the rose with the Spellbinder’s layers. The sentiment is from Studio 490 I Am My Art.
Oh and the seam binding is dyed with Antique Linen and the edges of all the papers were sponged with.
I really think that might be all for me today. . . at least it should be.
Thanks for stopping by today and make sure you visit my fellow E-Team Members . . . I know they have some awesome things to show you!