Good Monday morning! I hope your weekend was a good one. I had some play time in the studio and then some quality butt time watching the final races in NASCAR. I’m sad that this was the last racing weekend, but I only have a few months until Daytona! I think I can handle it.
The last time my darling daughter, Mallory, was home it was major crafty time for us. There was one project that she left for me to finish on my own . . . or should I say . . . there was one project that I refused to do at that time because of time restraints with other pending projects. I don’t think she was that upset that we didn’t work on it then either, because she knew I would make the project when I had time.
The story of the project is . . . I send some of my projects with Mallory back to school. One of her roomies, Megan, loves my vintage flair (which I found out that last trip home when Mallory was looking for things to take back to Megan), so Mallory offered ME, her momma, to make a recipe box for Megan. Mallory’s approach . . . Mom I told Megan that I would work on this while I’m home this week . . . knowing full well that I would end up doing it. Sly little fox she is! Now don’t get me wrong because it sounds like I didn’t want to make this project at all . . . I find Mallory’s ways of manipulating hilarious. In my heart I’m totally flattered that Megan likes what I do and I wanted to take my time on her project so it would be worthy.
What she sent was a blank chipboard recipe box and a pad of Prima paper that she really loves. You can see these in the Project Supply list at the bottom of my post. My problem was the paper was 6×6 and the box was much wider . . . I ended up using some extra paper I had here that would match her paper (to a point). The box was covered in my paper, sanded at all the edges, and then sponged with Antique Linen Distress Stain.
and then from the top looking down . . .
I added a keyhole to the front just for the fun of it, but left off all other metal embellishments (i.e., feet, knob) so the box could sit flat and be opened easily.
The flowers were die cut with Spellbinders™ floral die templates (details in Project Supplies) from the Prima paper that Megan sent. The leaves were die cut from GrungePaper and the flourishes are from Want2Scrap.
Even though it’s hard to tell in the photo, all the edges of each petal of each flower were sponged with Antique Linen Distress Ink. The leaves were covered with Peeled Paint Distress Stain, then the edges were highlighted with Crushed Olive Distress Ink. The center of the red flower above is a corsage pin that was covered with Lake Mist Alcohol Ink.
The chipboard flourished were painted with Peeled Paint Distress Stain, then wen dry covered again with Peeled Paint Distress Stickles. I must stay that sitting across the room and looking at this side of the box, the flower appear to be part of the paper . . . it’s so cool! To finish off the flowers, turquoise and brown leaf Trinket Pins were added.
I hope Megan likes what I’ve done and I can’t wait for Mallory to take it to her after the Thanksgiving break.
Thanks for stopping by and remember . . . life is short, embrace the adventures that come your way today!