Have I got something fun for you today . . . our very first eclectic Challenge! Daisy thought it would be fun to have you, our readers, to participate along with us in our blog hops. SO, we are now incorporating a challenge into our blog hops . . . think on the terms of a creative challenge. For this first challenge, Daisy has challenged us to use Distress Inks (or stains), a die template of our choice and an egg carton.
For those of you playing along with us, Daisy has set up inlinkz on the eP Blog for you to post your creations to. For today’s challenge you have from Friday, August 12 until Sunday, August 21st to post. One winner will be picked from the submissions on the eP Blog, who will receive a $40 gift voucher to eclectic Paperie. The winner will be announced on the eP Blog on Monday, August 22.
As in the past, we will continue to give away two prize packages to those readers leaving blog comments. For this hop, two randomly chosen winners will each receive some 6×6 paper pads that have recently been received at eP along with some other surprises. You have until Sunday, August 14 to comment. The winners will be announced on the eP Blog on Monday, August 15.
The E-Team Participating in this first eclectic Challenge are (besides me):
Daisy Sparks – eP Blog
Now for my project and that little snippet of the challenge, an egg carton. Can you guess which part is the egg carton?
I started with the larger frame and a scalloped border from Studio 490 Sample Pack Art Parts. For the base of the frame, I die cut Spellbinders™ new die template, S5-066 Shadow Flowers, to use as a mask. The base was covered with Crushed Olive Distress Ink first, the Shadow Flowers were placed and then sponged over with Stormy Sky Distress Ink. The background stamp from It’s More Flower Art was stamped lightly in Archival Coffee. The sentiment from It’s Face Art was stamped in Archival Jet Black.
The actual frame portion (top) was covered with Graphic 45 An ABC Primer. The edges were sanded and then sponged with Vintage Photo Distress Ink. The scalloped Art Part was painted with Black Soot Distress Stain. The leaves were die cut with S4-328 Foliage and painted with Crushed Olive Distress Stain.
All the flowers were die cut with LF-005 Grand Peony Creations. Two from Graphic 45 An ABC Primer and dipped in melted UTEE to make Faux Porcelain. The center blue flower is the egg carton. It was die cut with the Peony Creations and then colored with drops of Red Pepper, Butterscotch and Juniper Alcohol Inks. The center is black glitter that was sprinkled on Matte Accents. Before you ask, the egg carton flower was not dipped in UTEE. IT MELTS! This was the second attempt at making flowers from an egg carton. When I first opened the carton and saw the little stars that separate the eggs, I said to myself . . . FLOWERS . . . they are flowers! So I cut them all out, colored them with red alcohol ink and thought what the hell . . . I took the heat tool to them. I liked the way they turned dark and curled, BUT they got so thin and I didn’t like the red. They landed in the garbage.
The butterfly (not part of the challenge but I just had to show you) was die cut from GrungePaper and Studio 490 Clearly for Art. Both pieces were die cut with the new Spellbinders LF-006 Wonderful Wings. The bottom was sponged with Wild Honey Distress Ink and then over stamped in Archival Jet Black with the polka dots from Studio 490 More Flower Art. The top, Clearly For Art, was heated with the heat tool to soften the Clearly For Art so I could bend the wings. The middle is a mini clothespin that was stained black with the Black Soot Distress Stain. Black Artistic Wire is wrapped around the clothespin for antennae.
I plan on sending this back to school with Mallory. I had that in mind when I picked the sentiment because this is her last year and she can begin to fly. Not that she hasn’t already!
Thanks for stopping by today, don’t forget to visit The E-Team’s blogs and I really hope you participate in the challenge. I would love to see what you do with the egg carton!