Smiley from millan.net I truly meant to get this post up a little earlier today . . . but first I had to run all the little shihtz’ up for their grooming and while they were gone, I took my leisurely time with today’s puzzles.

The other day I mentioned I was working on a frame to display Zentangles.  At first I wasn’t quite sure how this was going to turn out (and I must admit that I did leave off a top layer . . . because I wanted to see the texture created and not cover it).

To make the frame, chipboard sheets were die cut with various sizes of Spellbinders™ Squares, the outer edge is the largest of the Grand Squares.  I think there might be 2 pieces for the backing and 3 for the outer frame.

SpackleFrameFull

I was going to cover the frame with beeswax (now another project), but when I spied the container of fast drying lightweight spackling compound on my shelf, I grabbed it instead.  Now I’m sure this is not a product that should be used on chipboard for a project like this, but hey . . .  it was worth a try.

Once I had the chipboard covered in a nice layer of compound, it was misted with water (very lightly) and then using the Spellbinders new M-Bossabilities, Ornamental Iron, I lightly pressed the folder down into the spackling compound.  I realized after a few tries, that it was very important to lift the folder straight up when removing.

SpackleFrameLowerCorner

Once everything had dried, the backing of the frame was painted with black acrylic paint and the frame was painted Americana Light Buttermilk.  The next layer is Americana Turquoise Blue mixed with Glazing Medium and a little water.  I painted that on  . . . really not too thick . . . and then wiped off the excess, leaving most of it in the crevices formed from the M-Bossabilities.

To add some patina to the frame, I pulled out my trust Perfect Pearls and started adding some here and there, and soon realized that using Perfect Medium would really be the smart thing to do and not mist with water.

FrameUpperCornerDetail

I kept adding different colors (Bronze, Green Patina, Cappuccino and Gold) over the frame until I ended up with what I thought looked good.  You might be able to see from the above photo how I added two extra layers of chipboard inside the frame to make the image pop up just a bit.  Those were painted black to match the backing.

SpackleFramSideAngle

These colors might not be perfect for a black and white Zentangle piece, but while I’m sitting here looking at the frame across the room, my eye is drawn directly to the Zentangle . . .  it pulls me in!  I guess we’ll find out eventually if the spackle falls off the cardboard Smiley from millan.net

Now that I’ve finished with this one, I think I will have to give the beeswax a try.  It’s been a long time since I’ve worked in that medium and I think it might be time to drag it out again.

Oh and one more thing!  I did go around all the edges with a Krylon Gold Leafing Pen.  Just to add that finishing touch.

So that’s all for me today.  Thanks for stopping by today and I should have a winner or two for the magazine posted soon!

SHERRY SIGNATURE

Project Supplies:

© 2015 Suffusion theme by Sayontan Sinha
Cookie Policy

Blog hosted by Splitcoaststampers Privacy Policy Cookie Policy