It’s time again for another E-Team Blog Hop! This is Part 2 of our Seasonal Tags & ATCs and the challenge was to make anything other than a card, i.e.., name tags for the table, centerpieces, etc. Before I show you my project, I need to tell you a few things about the hop.
The E-Team participating are:
Daisy Sparks (The eP Blog)
Sherry Cheever (You are Here!)
There are prizes too! There will be three $20 gift vouchers to get those extra supplies you may need from eclectic Paperie. Three winners will be randomly chosen from the comments left on The E-Teams’ Blogs. So, you need to leave a comment in order to win. The winners with each receive one $20 gift voucher. In addition, eclectic Paperie will be another prize on the eP Blog. Comments left on the eP Blog will be registered to win an eP box full of goodies like paper, embellishments, stamps, and more. Comments can be left from Friday until Sunday. Winners will be posted on the eP Blog Monday afternoon.
Now for my project! I decided to make a small piece that could be added to my table decorations. I found the sentiment in one of my favorite magazines, Country Sampler, typed it up then printed it out on white cardstock.
The square frame and stand were made with pieces from Studio 490 Art Parts – Sample Pack. The paper is Fancy Pants Summer’s End 6×6 Pad. The sentiment was die cut/embossed with Spellbinders™ Squares, inked with Antique Linen Distress Ink, then the edges were sponged with Vintage Photo. All the paper was adhered to the Art Part pieces with Claudine Hellmuth Studio multi-medium matte.
The small flowers were die cut/embossed with Spellbinders Rose Creations die template, the edges of all the petals were sponged with Vintage Photo. The sentiment, Count Your Blessings, was part of the paper, Summer’s End. I knew that I had to use it, the minute I saw it. The center of the small flowers are small beads found in the wedding section of Hobby Lobby and covered with Espresso Alcohol Ink.
The larger flowers on top were die cut/ embossed with Spellbinders Grand Peony Creations. Each petal was sponged with Vintage Photo Distress Ink. The leaves were die cut from GrungePaper with Spellbinders Foliage and covered with Crushed Olive Distress Stain. One think I’ve learned recently is that the stain doesn’t quite cover the edges, leave spots that can be seen. I don’t like that. For these leaves, I sponged all the edges with Peeled Paint Distress Stain to not only cover the open areas but to also add some dimension to the leaves. The centers of the larger flowers are corsage pins that were covered with Espresso Alcohol Ink.
When working on the frame, I was at a loss on how to adhere it to the top of the stand. I could have used a glue gun to glue it down, but I was afraid it would be too straight and a bit of a mess. I finally decided on making my own easel back for the frame.
If you notice that extra paper, that’s a boo boo that I’ll tell you about in a minute.
My idea was to take a 2” strip of printers chipboard and score it at the ends to make pieces that I could glue to the frame.
By the way, the chipboard was painted with Vintage Photo Distress Stain. The part that would attach to the top of the frame is on the left.
In the above photo you can tell how I glued the bottom piece on, leaving the smaller section to sit on the base (which would be glued down).
Here’s where I ran into trouble. By gluing down the scored end, the frame stood too straight actually leaving to the front. So, I pulled the chipboard off and cut off the end. Then I was able to adjust the stand so that the frame leaned back.
Since this is my own piece and will not be given away or sold, I don’t care if the little bit of chipboard shows. Besides its on the back, a man on a galloping horse will never see it!
I’ve been using this printers chipboard quite often and have had a few questions. I thought that since I’ve used it here, I would show you what it is.
Each sheet is 8.5 x 11” and is very thin. In comparison, it’s probably about the thickness of a cereal box . . . maybe just a teeny tiny bit thicker. I buy it by the case from my local office supply store (where I buy my Neenah paper). Here’s the label on the box.
It’s not that expensive and gives me a great supply of chipboard and I’m likely to run out soon (like I have done in the past when I truly needed cardboard for Spellbinders storage). I typically glue 3 to 4 pieces of this together for a base because it is stiffer then. The sentiment on the bottom of my above project was glue to one piece, then cut out. It made the sentiment a tad bit studier to fit into the memo pin.
I guess that’s all for me today. Thanks for stopping by and don’t forget to visit the rest of The E-Team! Remember if you want to have a chance to win one of the prizes, you need to leave comments.